Your Riese & Müller Questions, Answered!
Riese & Müller is a premium e-bike manufacturer based in Mühltal, Germany, and they are doing things a little differently. While the below questions cover various aspects of their philosophy, bikes and the ordering process, we know there will be more questions! Give us a call at 888-509-4210 or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, anytime.
1. Who are Riese & Müller, and what's all the fuss about their e-bikes?
We were hoping you would ask! Riese & Müller was started by Markus Riese and Heiko Müller, who had a dream about transforming mobility with bikes. Since its inception as a company in 1993, Riese & Müller has continued with Markus and Heiko's mission and become an industry leader across their four pillars of responsibility - culture, ecology, social responsibility and economics.
The best part about Riese & Müller, though? The bikes! Truly unique, truly luxurious, and an example in function, reliability and elegance. Their accolades number many, with their new Superdelite most recently winning the Eurobike Gold Award in 2019.
2. How do I figure out which model is right for me?
There's a lot to take in with the vast array of Riese & Müller's e-bike lineup. We recommend asking yourself a few qualifying questions to narrow your search:
- Is off-road riding important to you? If so, bikes with Control Technology (full-suspension, among other design elements) are great choices. These include the Superdelite, Delite, Superdelite Mountain, Delite Mountain, Load 60 & 75, Homage and Culture.
- Will you be hauling cargo, or kids? If so, the Multicharger Series, Load Series and Packster series are your best bets.
- Is maintenance a concern? If so, model names that include 'Vario' or 'Rohloff' will come equipped with the ultra low-maintenance Gates carbon belt drive and hub gearing versus a traditional chain and derailleur. The belt drive and hub gearing combination also leads to a super smooth ride!
- Is price a concern? If so, model names that include 'Touring' come with a lower price tag and indicate a traditional chain and derailleur gearing system versus the belt drive/internal gearing combination.
- Do you feel a need for speed? Models with 'HS' in their name indicate a Bosch Performance Speed motor, which assists up to 28mph versus the 20mph in non-HS models. If you are unfamiliar with your particular state's rules surrounding e-bike speeds, People for Bikes has a great resource here.
3. What do the different model names signify?
GT. 'Gran Turismo' - comfortable e-bike riding. Perfect on roads or light terrain for day-to-day riding, touring and traveling.
Touring. Equipped with a traditional chain and derailleur gearing system.
Vario. Equipped with the Enviolo continuous hub gear and Gates carbon belt drive.
Rohloff. Equipped with the electronic E14 14-speed Rohloff speedhub.
HS. 'High Speed'. Equipped with the Bosch Performance Speed motor that offers assistance up to 28mph. Also indicates added safety features such as a handlebar mirror, louder 'horn' and brighter lights.
4. Are all Riese & Müller e-bikes custom built, or do you have some in-stock?
We do indeed keep some stock on hand - an assortment of test bikes and floor models. Check our current inventory here, and keep in mind it's always changing! If there's a specific bike you're looking for, the best bet is to give us a call so that we can fill you in on our incoming deliveries and timelines.
5. How do I place an order for a Riese & Müller e-bike?
If your dream e-bike is one that we have in-stock, you can place your order online and we'll get to work on packing it and getting it out the door (all Riese & Müller bikes ship for FREE from our shop to you via our Ready-to-Ride shipping program, outlined here).
For custom orders, both our website and the Riese & Müller website can help you walk through various configuration options and home in on the best option for you. We're then a phone call away to finalize your order and fill you in on the next production week scheduled for your particular dream bike. Of course, feel free to call us anytime along the way.
6. Once I place my order, when can I expect to receive my new e-bike?
Riese & Müller maintains a regular production schedule (subject to change) for each of their models, and we'll have that info for you at the time of purchase. You'll then be able to choose between a sea freight option and an air freight option for getting the bike from their factory in Germany to us at Oregon E-Bikes. The sea freight option (free) usually takes about 8 weeks after the bike is produced to arrive at our shop, while the air freight option ($300 flat fee per bike) takes only about two weeks to get to us after leaving the factory.
From our shop in Oregon to your home, transit times are typically 2-4 business days for the West Coast, 3-5 business days for the Midwest and 4-6 business days for the East Coast.
7. Is there a way to keep track of where my bike is at in the production process once I place my order?
Yes there is! Shortly after you place your order, Riese & Müller will generate a unique code for bike - you can then plug that code into a box on their homepage and track its progress.
8. What is the warranty on a Riese & Müller e-bike?
Riese & Müller offers a 5-year warranty on the fame and rear swing arm, and a voluntary warranty on the battery for two years that guarantees the battery will still have a capacity of 60% after two years or 500 full charge cycles. The warranty is only valid if you have registered your bike online within four weeks of purchase. Read more here:https://www.r-m.de/en-us/service/warranty/
9. How much experience does Oregon E-Bikes have with Riese & Müller?
We've been partners with Riese & Müller since 2017, and continue to grow alongside them. Co-owner Matt can be found each day on a Load 75 (he's upgrading to the Rohloff HS version this year!), while co-owner Jodie's e-bike of choice is the super cute Packster 40. Our Service Manager, Ollie, has extensive experience building and working on all Riese & Müller models, and his wife Jenn is our detail-oriented Shipping Manager that ensures your Riese & Müller arrives at your door safe and sound.
Above all else, the integrity and ethos that Riese & Müller embodies as a company aligns with our mission at Oregon E-Bikes and why we love riding electric. We're honored to work in partnership with Riese & Müller to 'change tomorrow's mobility' and be a part of the solution for the planet and its people.
10. Is there anything else I should know?
If you are contemplating a Riese & Müller e-bike, then you're also contemplating a life-changing investment that will offer you more time outside, more exercise, expanded transportation options and a smaller carbon footprint. These bikes are built with purpose, and the opportunities and benefits you'll receive from riding a Riese & Müller e-bike are truly transformative. Needless to say, we think you should go for it. We promise you'll thank us later. :)